Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Waffles & CX: The Rest of the Story (in pictures)

Before the kids ever got on the course, Earl was racing in the Master's race. As he was climbing up this crappy little climb (I hate it even worse descending), I was yelling at him. Yelling in a good way.

With the kids' races finished and their goody bags packed safely in the car, we brought out the lawn chairs to the back of the SECCA museum and watched the Pros/CAT 1's suffer. I've got to tell you, it's a LOT more fun to watch them suffer than do it yourself. We even ate the eponymous waffles as we watched and cheered.
Jay, lookin' tough.
We had two riders in our sights for this race -- Jay Cox and Mark Hekman. Soph was particularly clear in her cheering "Mr. Hekman! You can do it!" Matty, not to be outdone, shouted to them both, "You GOT this!!!"
Mark bearing down.
The kids and I then spent the rest of the race criticizing how well or poorly riders were clearing the barriers. They, being podium finishers, have every right to do this. Though only a bystandah, Tha Kuhnull is not one to shy from an opinion.

We started to pack up as the Pro/1 race was finishing. As we were packing the chairs away, we saw some friends in the parking lot. Freshly finished from his race, Hekman said hey to Soph and Matty, congratulated them and said to me that I was building a dynasty. Well, it doesn't take a two time National Criterium Champion's shining assessment to tell Tha Kuhnull that he's raising a cycling ruckus, but he'll smile all the same. We do love us some Mr. Hekman.
Then we ran into two of our favorite people! Seeing Jill and little Fisch meant that E was likely to ride in the men's CAT 4 race. Looks like we might have to watch a little longer!
Note the CLM orange kit amongst the CAT 4 men.
Bob, too, was ready to ride and he tried to cajole me back into the race, but I was smart enough to keep temptation at bay by not bringing any implements of my destruction. Instead, I had the freedom to cheer for my friends.
I yelled at these guys, too. In fact, on that same climb I yelled at Earl about three hours earlier, I was demanding that they "Suffer! Suffer!" And, as it turns out, I was mighty loud. I even ran alongside Bob for a while and told him he, surely, can beat me racing if I'm only on foot. He laughed as he pulled away and enter the woods.
E riding away to glory.

Looks like everyone had fun. E came in top 10 and Bob didn't finish last, so they both were, probably. pretty pleased with the outcome. In all, it was a lovely day of cycling. Good, good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment