| Ready to Rock Salem Lake |
Perhaps to be expected, Joooonyuh (sporting a new, shorter coiffure), shot ahead of Miss Sissy and I, which was alright, as we expected he'd come back and wait for us at points along the route. This left Soph and I to enjoy the ride together.
I spent a good bit of the ride talking her through the gear changes -- when to gear up and down to make her pedaling more efficient. She seemed to get it and felt pretty comfortable to the point of telling me to be quiet. Fair enough.
Since they've dammed the lake up, the wildlife grass growth has been impressive and has changed the ride considerably. There's one part that was always right against the water and now it's not at all. It's beautiful, but in a completely different way. Cool.
Well, as we were riding, I saw a log out in the lake and some little guys sunning themselves. I asked Miss Sissy to pull over and we counted a dozen turtles on that log. Great stuff. After reviewing the photo, there are more than a dozen! Whoa. Soph liked that and was happy as she started pedaling again.
| At least a dozen turtles sunning themselves here. |
| Tha Kuhnull casts a long shadow. |
As we got closer to the Linville Road parking lot, I was starting to wonder if a) Joooonyuh would be there b) how I'd handle the situation if he wasn't and c) how Tha Kuhnull would restrain from throttling him if he was. A tense moment awaited, to be sure. I decided to underplay the incident once I saw the boy sitting on the trunk of our car. No need to cause a fuss. Still, Tha Kuhnull whispered his cautious admonition and Joooonyuh blushed appropriately with the promise of future adherence.
With the bikes packed back onto the car, it was time to go to our next cycling escapade.
And then things got awkward...
We'd agreed, given the recent racing successes both children had experienced the weekend before, that we'd like to revisit SECCA and ride the base of the course. With the lane tape pulled, we did a 'cheaters version' of the same loop; which is to say we skipped that annoying up and down on the back side of the SECCA haus.
No surprise that Joooonyuh took off -- this time with The Kuhnull's blessing. The nature of the short course left him within constant earshot and he decided to see what he could do on the trail. This left Miss Sissy with me. She, still smarting from the end of the Salem Lake ride, was in poor spirits and was, as we say, 'High Drama.'
I tried to coax and console throughout and, to be honest, we'd agreed to go slow and just mosey around. No big worries. Certainly, no need to make a fuss. This, however, was not the plan for our Special Consultant, Miss Sissy.
"I want to lay down and DIE!"
"My legs are gonna fall off!"
Big alligator tears throughout. Tha Kuhnull was neither amused nor sympathetic.
| Anger abated. Now it's time to just do it. |
I told her we'd take a second loop, this time without the drama. Crying would be fine, but managing her demeanor is central to the character of any Southern belle and we were going to address that concern immediately.
"It was hard."
I asked what she thought of the earlier ride and she said, "I was a Drama Queen." Indeed.
I observed she had a tougher time riding in the level grass and I asked why she thought that was. She thought about it and didn't have an answer, only that it was tough. Fair enough.
"Do I have to ride another lap?"
"Nope. Let's just ride the actual race lap you did last week. That way you can practice some more grass riding." With that, we were off.
| A moment before the hike-a-bike |
As we finished the ride, Joooonyuh came around and said he'd like to take another loop. Not one to hold him down, I sent him on his way and Soph and I got the bikes back onto the back of the car.
In all, it was a grand ride for all. It started well, sunk low in the middle and rose at the end. Just the way it should. And, it was a golden Sunday afternoon with my kids. Perfection.
| New hairdo means bike caps are back! |
No comments:
Post a Comment