![]() |
| Me, 2 Rickys and a bunch of folks I don't really know. |
An interesting note: a gay friend of mine saw the pic online and asked if any of the guys in the front row were single or available and could I hook him up. I thought that was funny. Maybe not. No, it is.
...
So, Tuesday came around like a flash and, given all the recent rain, my unpleasant work environment of late and general orneriness, I figured it was best I didn't ride the SECCA race. First person I tell, RAB, tells me that mud is what is the big draw and asked had I quit the cult! I said I'd consider it...
Well, my day sucked and the weather was beautiful, so I rushed home, through on my old Illes Balears jersey and headed to race. I'd swapped the pedals to flats earlier, so I just wore tennis shoes. As a result, I looked like Fred McFred. Fair enough.
As always seems to be the case, I run into a bunch of pals at this event. So, Bob and I figure we'll master the back of the race and Earl is ready in his old school gear and bike to do his thing (and he had a new helmet cam!). And, lo and behold, there's Jim from the Tour to Tanglewood! Of course, Jim sees me and doesn't recognize me until I say hello. He said it's his first foray into CX and he said I'll be sure to leave him behind. I explained that I was no threat at all. About that time, Jimmy came around and said hello. Jimmy tends to recognize me.
Once it was the C start, Zach from MOB gave us our running orders. He cautioned that we don't need to go all out because it's early in year and the season hasn't started yet. Then he sent us off. As I was coming up on him, I said, "Hey Zach, this IS my season!" He looked me up and down, with a look of disdaining grimace when he saw my tennis shoes, lifted his hand up in a fist, looked away and said evenly, "You the man, Kris." Who knew?
I had a great first lap and things fell apart as I was finishing the second lap on the singletrack in the woods and I had to pull over for folks to pass. After about a minute or so of pulling over, I figured I was done. I waited awhile for Bob to come back around and then we rode another, unofficial lap. I cut out all the parts I don't like on the trail and had a swell final swing of it. Nice to go through the singletrack without having to stop!
Once it was all done, Jim came by and said, "I told you that you'd beat me." I said that wasn't possible, but he said he had flatted and quit. DNF. I smiled and said that when he's done this some more, he'll know that he doesn't have to DNF, he can just cross the line. He said, "It doesn't mean anything if I don't do all four laps." Ugh. So, I finished last but not DNF.
![]() |
| My name. Not on the bottom of the list. |
Maybe I'll just say I finished 9th.


No comments:
Post a Comment