Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Cross Season has Begun and the 1st DFL

I knew it was coming and, like a train wreck waiting to happen, I did nothing but stand firmly on the track. It's time for cyclocross at SECCA. Man, I love this series - it's informal, close to home, and early in the season so that foul weather isn't a concern. I can't miss this series. Heck, the wife even lets me clear the calendar for it. So, maybe, I should've done a little fitness preparation for the ride...

I got to the Southeaster Center for Contemporary Art around 5pm for what I thought was a 5:30p start. I had run by the house to change clothes and only had to pop on my cleats and pay the entry fee and I'd be good to go. Might even get to pre-ride a bit. Nice.

This day was a day of meeting up with pals. Very swell. The first person I saw, as I came in was Jim Smalley. Jim was my first CX biking friend -- we rode against each other in C class 11 years ago. He's one of the nicest guys around. He's CAT'ted up to his age group nowadays, but hangs back near the back, just a minute or six ahead of me, I'd imagine.

Next was CLM'er/ex-Revolution Cycles/ex-Pathways and current Cycle-Smart rider, Sirena. She was glad to see me and quick to point out that, with my brown socks and orange jersey, I was wearing the best matched kit and she dug it. So, style points for me. So far, so good.

Not long afterward, Earl from down the street comes by on his bike. Says he's glad I made it and is off to register. I figured I should do the same.

It all started to unravel at registration. Jay from Mock was running the table and he asked if I was racing B or C this season. Well, I know I suck, so I picked as low as I could go. I realized there weren't many folks there and I asked Jay when we were starting. He said in about 35 minutes. Oh. Well, I guess I'll get that pre-ride I wanted!

There were changes to the course. Barriers were moved and some zigging where there used to be zagging. No worries. I pre-rode the course with Jim, who called me out for skipping sections (hey, why suffer now?!) and ended back at the car for last minute tune-ups. I had an eye out for E, who thought he might make it out to the race, but no E in sight.

As racetime neared, I made my way back to the start line and saw my riding friend, Bob, at the line. He rides near the back as well and I was happy to see him. Very cool. As a crowd was gathering for the start, I called out to Zach if he could create a Clydesdale Masters C race, so I could race with my own kind. I thought that was funny and Zach did a grimacing laugh. One guy called out, "Sandbagging already?" Oh, if they only knew...

As the race was ready to start, Zach threw out a zinger - we'd be racing in the other direction! None of us believed him and he said, "Nope. Not shitting you. Turn around." Aw crap. The pre-ride meant little now. I knew the course, but would've considered it differently. Ugh...

Once the B men & women headed off (bye, Jim, Sirena & Earl!), I suggested that we do our start heading in the normal direction, which got a bunch of laughs. I may not be fast, but I'd be a force to reckon with if you had to run head on into me! Ha! We were told to be sure to pull over if we're being passed and, with that, we were off.
Barry took this pic. I was hating Barry about then.
I took a spill pretty early on, when I came to a tight, hairpin descent and Bob had to navigate around me. No worries and I was back up and pulling grass out of the brake levers. Still, the damage was done and I was dead last.

The course was fun going in the other direction and it seemed like a needed shake-up after a few years of running nearly the same route. I was having fun the first lap and had a crew about to catch me in the woods when I realized I could make the neutral cobbles and not be passed on my first lap, so I dug deeper and hoofed it clear. I was proud until I realized they were just riders for the A race, pre-riding the course. Ugh...

Deflated, I went into the second lap with no juice, sweating Bikram-yoga-style and generally feeling ugh-like. I got about a third through my second lap when the real first group started coming through. I pulled over and let 'em pass because it was tight riding in some areas and then had another guy turn to me and say, "Don't worry about me, I'm pre-riding." Facepalm. I just coasted the rest of the ride.

...until I saw Barry. With a camera. So I looked all mean as I snaked my way past him. I told him I hated him, but he laughed it off.

By the woods, I was getting passed pretty much non-stop and I pulled over so no one would get hurt navigating around me. I had no intention of another lap by this point. I could manage the course well enough, but the stop/starts were making a bad thing worse. About this point, Sirena came by and said, "There's my rabbit!" I encouraged her and heard her call out, "Come on!"

Now, there's an interesting rule in cyclocross. If you are crossing your lap ahead of the race leader without being lapped, even if you're a foot in front of him, you have to do one more lap. If, however, you're right behind him, you are finished when he finishes -- doesn't matter how many laps you did. You'll be put a lap behind and that's that. I know this rule. I've used this rule. Many times.

Anyway, back to the course...I was finishing the second lap when I saw Barry with his wife, Lisa. Just out of the wood and a few hundred feet from the finish line, I decided to park and talk to them a bit. It was at this point that Barry paid me a very kind complement. He said something to the effect of I'm the most entertaining racer he sees. Well, like the monkey dancing in front of the organ grinder, I like to do my part. Not long into our conversation, who walks up but E with his papoose. He joins the conversation and then stops to ask, "Wait, are you still racing?!" I told him I was, but Barry stopped me to talk. We all have a laugh at that.

As the rest of the racers made their way past me, some would call for me to continue. Jim made it by me and said, "You can still catch me!" So I would should out to each of 'em that I was right behind them and pretend to remount the bike. Only when Bob came around did I join up.

Race finished. In my case, half a race. I was worked out, sweaty and feeling beaten down. But I was happy and around my friends. A wonderful first ride of the season!
Horace Mann crew
with Dr. Bob
With the race complete, I could watch a little of the A race and cheer on my other pals. Sure enough, there was plenty to cheer about.
The MOB Rules (the A race)! Charles, Zach and Hekman! Barry catches it all via phone cam!
Brian pushing in the A race
Man, I love the SECCA series.


No comments:

Post a Comment