Saturday, May 7, 2011

Unclipped

So, it's been a long week of ups and downs and absolutely zero cycling. Which followed a long weeks of ups and downs and zero cycling. Which followed the Germany visit. Blah, blah, blah.

I've had a pretty tough time the last couple months. Between all the cool stuff and political weirdness at work and the Easter holiday and my not dealing with Dad's passing really all that much, I've only done one thing consistently: eat. And we know where that ends up...

But some interesting things have happened of late. Interesting things that dance around the two wheeled subject.

1) My wife has decided she might be interested in getting a bike to ride around the town and maybe some trails with the family. That is crazy cool, but she had a caveat: No bike shop bikes. Now, this is a bit of the dagger to the heart, given my opinion of bike shops. But, she knows I suffer with loyalty and she just wants the cheapest, suitable bike for the ride. So, if it means we go to Target or Sport's Authority for a bike to get her riding, then I'm all for it. There, I said it.
2) I was supposed to ride in the Mule-Hell Roubaix this weekend.  I knew I wouldn't likely ride Boone Roubaix, but had my sights set on M-HR for four months. Then again, it's been a mixed up three months. So, I had to tell my pal, E, that I wouldn't be able to attend because a) I wasn't sure if I was headed off to Germany this month and would need all free weekends for family time and b) I have eaten too many steaks and sweets and now am as fit as the Pillsbury Doughboy. So I didn't ride.  Fortunately, however, E was undeterred and came in a massive 3rd!!! Whoa. Rock on, Brother E!
3) I have decided that, in the absence of the yet-to-purchase (maybe never) mountain bike, it was time to make a serious adjustment to the Steelman. I've been wanting a bike to just throw my leg over and ride -- around town or with the kids-- without worries of bibs or clip-in shoes. There's time for 'racing' and this Spring and Summer just ain't it.

So I did what needed doing. I asked E if he had a set of flat pedals. Of course, he did. (Thanks, Jill!)
BEFORE: the beautiful Crank Brothers Candy pedal
AFTER: Jill's old beater pedal finds a new home!
 Now, I have eliminated the last thinkable excuse. It's time to get off my fat ass and ride.

2 comments:

  1. RIDE RIDE RIDE RIDE RIDE RIDE RIDE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my flat pedals on my mountain bike. Real sense of freedom from the shoes and cleats. I love hoping on it in sandals and taking a spin. Enjoy the flat pedals!!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete