Monday, February 28, 2011

RACE REPORT: Southern Cross, Part 1

"When you see the Southern Cross for the first time, you will understand now why you came this way."
 -- Crosby, Stills & Nash, "Southern Cross"

I arrived in Dahlonega at just about dinnertime and, upon checking in and checking in with the family, I went out for a bite. I'd been to Dahlonega once before -- with Ian and my son for the 2004 Tour de Georgia (where we met Cipo!), but I remembered enough to get the gist of where I was. The town (population ~5500) has a center square built around their mining museum and there are lots of restaurants there, so that's where I headed.
Corkscrew Cafe
Had a great meal at the Corkscrew Cafe, checked a voicemail of support from E (who said only "Venga!") and headed back to the hotel for a quick check of the bike. While unpacking, I found a series of notes of encouragement from the family.

I woke on the early side and made it to Monteluce Winery around 8:30am for registration check in. The Winery landscape is lovely, but it was overshadowed with the realization that tit would also serve as a gravity challenging battlefield, made evident from the sprawling course tape.



Having parked and registered, I ran into some folks from the Triad and said my hellos. Good to have some folks you recognize at a gathering. There seemed to be a lot of pre-race excitement and the buzz was palpable.
Race HQ
I had considered bringing out the trainer and spinning a while, but noticed I would've been the only one doing it and that I'd never done it before, so I opted to ride around a bit and take in the lay of the land. I swung my leg over the bike, pushed hard and promptly fell on my side. I just started laughing. People around me first asked if I was alright, but then started laughing too. Someone said something about that's not a good start to the day. I realized I'd left the wrap I used to hold the front tire to the downtube attached. I pulled it off and headed out. Wreck one: check! I rode up some tarmac and then down some of the grass cross path. I noticed part of the descent pops back up a foot or two and, in trying to navigate it, I did some kind of crazy slide under the tape, unwrapped a leg off the bike and kept one cleat clipped in. Wreck two: check! Time to go back.

Racers began to gather and Eddie O'Dea (race organizer) started with Sponsor introductions and thanks and whatnot. The 50 milers went to the front and us 30 milers stayed in the back. There were about 200 of us in all at the start line. I introduced myself to a couple folks, wished luck all around and got my ear buds and tucked 'em in my collar. Once the 50 milers left, Eddie told us we'd have about 5 minutes before we started. I called out that we'd be running a parade pace and a bunch of folks laughed and agreed. It was time.


The race started with a mass exit out of Monteluce Winery via road, trail and grass path, including that tricky bit where I wrecked earlier. I made it through this time and was near the back of the pack as we made a hard right and started the first hike-a-bike up a hill. So, I look up to see this long trail of cyclists walking their bikes up for over a hundred yards and think, "This is going to be something." I made it down and up and off the Winery property and to Hightower Church Road, where I took a moment to pull off my vest and put in my earbuds. If I was going to suffer, I might as well be motivated.

The ride getting to the Chattahoochee National Forest is pretty comfortable -- some rolling hills and some gravel along the way. I was in front of a handful of people and things were going easy peasy. There was a transition from asphalt to a newer section f gravel that was a bit sketchy, but all-in-all things were good. That's when, as I was descending the gravel, that I saw a cyclist with her bike turned over. Remembering Eddie's instructions to stop and help, I figured I would see if she needed anything. Turns out her rear tire was flat and she was having trouble with her air compressor. I offered one and she looked good to get back going when she realized her front tire was flat as well! She didn't have a second spare, but I had two 700x30c tires on me and offered one. As she fixed the second one, I learned her name is Krista and she had hoped to podium today. During that time, everyone that was behind me had passed and I knew where things stood. Ready to go again, I offered for her to lead out as, I explained, she'd inevitably pull away and I'd rather not undergo the ego bruise outright. She laughed and was gone. Me? I started chugging up the gravel hill, pretty peppy in spirit for my good deed. 

About 7 miles into the actual loop, the trail has turned more to hardpack dirt and I'm good with that. Then I see Krista at the side of the trail, walking back. Another flat. I offered my patch kit and helped patch the tube when we notice the rim just isn't fitting snug. We're working on that (I'm watching as much as not), when Namrita O'Dea (co-organizer of the event) comes down the mountain in her SUV. She asks if we need help and Krista says Namrita might want to stick around for a moment, explaining the situation. Namrita looks at me and says, "I'll help her. You need to get going so you don't miss the cut off at the SAG." And, with that, I started chugging again.

Next: Nice Guys Finish Last

No comments:

Post a Comment