Saturday, February 19, 2011

COUNTDOWN: 1 Week

Lots of activity going on with one week to go until Southern X. First, I won a bid on an ONCE Deutsche Bank jersey. I am a big fan of Team ONCE and this jersey represents the team of Zulle, Nozal, Sastre and Jalabert. I have been wanting an ONCE jersey for a while, so it was a real treat to see it come in.
Secondly, it looks like somebody is getting organized. There’s a new group linking four long cyclocross races – Ironcross (PA), Southern Cross (GA), Three Peaks (NC), Hilly Billy Roubaix (WV) – as the UltraCX series. Even more obscure and painful than CX – it was bound to happen.
I took a different tactic today. Weather was beautiful and it would have been a good day to ride around the lake, for sure. Instead, I decided to focus on my climbing. There’s a nearby route that offers plenty of climbing – up Glade Street, down Brookstown and back up Pilot View, which is a hearty climb. I come back down Brookstown a second time and back around to do it again. Three laps were about all I could handle.
The climb up Glade was manageable, but Pilot View, which was made up of three climbs, each of steeper ascents, had my heart rate maxed out three quarters up the way… every time. I realized a couple things, quickly: stopping on such a steep grade makes it really hard to get started again; my rear brakes aren’t nearly tight enough for my comfort and it is A-OK to be in the small ring when you’re only able to move at 5mph.
Ride Stats:
Distance: 8.13 mph
Trip Time: 49:40
Avg Speed: 9.82 mph
Max Speed: 22.94 mph
Max HR: 171
Avg HR: 158

No comments:

Post a Comment