Thursday, February 17, 2011

Another Run Around the Lake

Took another go at Salem Lake last Sunday. As race day is quickly approaching, I felt this might be the time to run a full four laps around the lake. The weather was good -- mid 50's to start-- with plenty of sun. It was, however, windy, which made a difference.

Gearing up always seems to be a challenge, but I felt a little braver this go round and started out with one set of light gloves, vest and headband as my 'winter wear.' I had made a new, hopping ride mix and was ready to go.

I ran into two sets of friends on the ride, a former work peer from Dell was walking with his folks and then, near the end of the ride, I ran into Jim from Jostens riding his mountain bike.  Nice to see folks. It's one of the things I like about this smaller town.

I rode well and was pushed by E's recent admission that he and Barry were running 18mph averages around the lake... at night! So, armed with an inspiration, I pushed harder and felt better than last time out, though nowhere near the speed of my pals. So it goes. Good to know what I'm capable of and I feel I can take sufficient ability to finish Southern X, which is what it was all about anyway.

Fortunately, I was able to nourish all that hunger I built up when we went out later as a family for early Valentine's dinner and I took out a Steak and some cake. No guilt at all.

Ride Stats:
Distance: 28.87 mi. (4 laps)
Trip time: 2:19:10
Avg speed: 12.44
Max speed: 20.87
Avg cadence: 91
Avg HR: 161
Max HR: 177

No comments:

Post a Comment