There is what is becoming a regular occurrence in cycling; for me, at least. And it always starts alongside le Tour de France. Timed to just proceed the best cyclists in the world toeing the start line for the most grand of two wheeled spectacles, my pal E gets folks together and we ride real slow. I only say they ride slow because that's what we've done the last two years now. Also, I'm sure everyone can ride faster, so it's evident that they're doing so for or because of me. I am portly, undisciplined and a goofball. I get it. They get it, so it all comes out in the wash.
Of course, I started getting E softened up about three weeks ago. I do this by talking about how out of shape I am and demanding 'parade pace.' Additionally, I offer an out -- folks can ride on and I'll just take shortcuts and meet them along the ride. I have no dignity with these guys. I will cheat.
This year things are a little different. With E a few weeks from fatherhood, there will be no post-ride fiesta and, for logistical reasons, fewer riders. This works to my favor. I had convinced our promoter that we could just, he and I, do a 2 mile parade loop around Hanes Park, but that would be more like a Giro Prologue than a Tour one. Still, I was planting the seeds...
An Unsettling Development
Then there was the issue of putting the bike back together from the post-beach cleaning. I got to it mid-week (T minus 3) was pretty satisfied with the effort when I realized the real derailleur wasn't pulling correctly. Limp, if you will allow it. I even called E to take a look at it and we couldn't figure it out. So, it had to go to the shop. The only problem with that was that Mock said they'd have it back to me by the 5th -- three days AFTER the prologue! I told the good guys there that I was riding 'a prologue' on Saturday and really needed the steed. They said they'd see what they could do.It was back in my hands that same afternoon. Good guys at Mock. Gotta give 'em credit.
On the Road Again
I woke up today at 6:30a and was confused because I was pretty sure I didn't have to go to work. I remembered it was the Poseur Prologue and smiled, sleepily.
One thing I like to do for the Prologue is honor the pros. Last year I squeezed into my old Acqua Sappone jersey and looked like a child too big for his shirt. Still, I rode proudly on. E got into the game and threw on an old (wool?) Panasonic jersey that year. Stylin' and profilin'.
This year, my original intention was to wear the Illes Balears jersey, but with Valverde on drug suspension, I decided it was time to put the newer Once jersey to the test. Time to recall the great Spanish team that was home to Jalabert and Sastre!
To be honest, I've put on a good 15 pounds since Southern Cross, so that jersey was screaming for mercy the moment I stretched it over my girth. No worries, I knew the price for glory was suffering and both the jersey and I would do our part.
A part of me was hoping that no one would show and E would take me up on that parade loop. But I knew I was in trouble when I saw the CLM kit in front of my house. Now to figure out who it was...
None other than the Battenkill Brother, Barrissimo was ready to rock the Prologue again. Now, I dig Barry, so I knew we'd have fun. I also knew that with the Battenkill Brothers united, it would not be a true parade lap.
So there it was, Barrissimo ready for action and E, decked out in his Panasonic jersey ("I only wear it once a year!") and yours, truly. This was the Prologue. I made a crack about fitting into my jersey like a bratwurst in a vienna sausage casing and E quickly dismissed me by reminding me I said that last year. Well played. And with that, we were off.
![]() |
| Marginal proof I was on the ride. |
I did take a moment, on a downhill run, to mock the guys and take a pull. I then backed off and said something along the lines of, "That's how you do it. Got that, Barry?" and dutifully, if smugly, hung on the back the rest of the ride.
![]() |
| my standard view |
From Wake, it was easy riding. We skipped any of the serious climbing that you'd find downtown. I took another moment to pip E at the Krankies' trailer, but he didn't know we were racing (which is the way I like it). I had noted that I'd 'pull a Cipollini' and skip the climbs if they took them. I think that might've been enough to convince the group to head back home.
It Is Done
The Poseur Prologue is, without a doubt, one of my favorite rides. Of course, the people make the experience. Good pals. Next year's ride could be really different, if at all. I envision E with a baby seat on the back of the Cervelo. All of a sudden, it might not be me slowing the group, but I'd probably still be the biggest baby.
Hey, I hear there is another Prologue today. I doubt it will be half as fun.







No comments:
Post a Comment